If you are concerned about the impact of food waste on our environment, we are too. Here are some eye-opening food waste sustainability facts:
- 30% of greenhouse gases produced by people comes from the production, distribution, and disposing of food.
- Food waste in the US contributes greenhouse gases equal to the amount produced by 1 in 7 cars on the road.
- Food waste is the Number One contributor to landfills. 40% of the food produced in the U.S. never gets consumed.
- Fresh water saved from not producing food waste would fill Georgia’s needs for two years.
Every day, Second Helpings Atlanta’s mission is to fight hunger and reduce food waste – and here are some facts that show the impact of our efforts on the environment:
- The food SHA rescues takes a lot of water to produce. SHA saves 50 million gallons of water per year through the food it rescues.
- The emissions SHA saves per year offsets emissions from 127,940 cars driving around the perimeter of Atlanta on Interstate 285.
Clearly, your support of SHA matters!